The Basics of SEO for Businesses
Welcome to our first Thursday Live – The Basics of SEO for Businesses.
Join us every Thursday @ 3pm on Instagram Live to learn and ask questions about anything and everything digital marketing.
Watch the Live Here: The Basics of SEO for Businesses
1: What Does SEO Mean in Today’s Digital Landscape?
SEO, or Search Engine Optimisation, is the practice of improving your website’s organic search engine ranking. Research shows that 92% of online traffic is captured by websites on the first page of Google, and the top-ranked result for a keyword enjoys an impressive 39.8% click-through rate (CTR). When you secure higher rankings for relevant keywords, you not only gain more visibility but also attract higher-quality traffic to your site.
2: What Are the Three Pillars of SEO?
SEO consists of three core pillars:
- Content: Creating high-quality, relevant content is essential for SEO. Content should be informative, engaging, and tailored to your target audience.
- Technical SEO: This pillar focuses on optimising your website’s technical aspects, such as site speed, mobile-friendliness, and URL structure.
- Backlinking: Acquiring backlinks from reputable sources enhances your website’s authority and trustworthiness in the eyes of search engines.
3: What Common Website Issues Affect Google Rankings?
Several issues can hinder a website’s ability to rank on Google:
- Lack of Targeted Keywords: Not incorporating relevant keywords into your content.
- Missing H1 Tags: Failing to use proper header tags.
- Mixed HTTP/HTTPS Versions: Hosting both HTTP and HTTPS versions of your website without proper redirection. Getting HTTPS is highly recommended as having only HTTP negatively affects your SEO rankings on Google.
- Large Unoptimised Images: Uploading oversized images that slow down your website’s loading speed.
4: What Can Businesses Do to Enhance Their SEO?
To improve SEO, consider these three strategies:
- User-Focused Content: Develop user-centric, specific content. Create individual pages for high-volume services.
- Build Quality Backlinks: Seek backlinks from authoritative sources within your industry.
- Optimise Images: Ensure your website’s images are properly compressed and don’t compromise loading speed.
5: What Practices Should Businesses Avoid to Prevent SEO Harm?
Three detrimental practices to steer clear of are:
- Fake Google Reviews: Avoid obtaining fake reviews on your Google Business Profile.
- Duplicate Website Pages: Refrain from duplicating web pages without updating the URL.
- Large Unoptimised Images: Don’t upload full-resolution images that slow down your website.
Bonus Tip: Always complete SEO fields when creating new pages.
When adding new pages to your website, make sure not to leave SEO fields empty. Provide relevant information to optimise your pages for search engines effectively.
If you have questions about digital marketing, drop us a dm on Instagram and we might just answer your question in our next live.
See you next Thursday.